Friday, June 20, 2008

My Garden

As many of you know I have decided to try a garden this year. We live in a condo with very little green space but as there is very little formal landscaping either I was able to request one of the sunny dirt plots for my garden. (one of the benefits of a 8 unit HOA). So here are some pictures of the beginning of my garden. I took them last week and already there is a huge change with the peas, tomatoes and squash getting huge and being in bloom.
Here you can see my tomato and pea plants next to the wall. Onions in the middle,
Radishes in the front and Cabbage and Zapallito in the back.
We brought back seeds for the zapallito from Uruguay as it is a type
of squash that you don't see grown here. (apparently it is legal to transport seeds
just not fresh fruit or veggies internationally). I also have some tiny Bell Pepper and Cucumber plants that I started as seeds but haven't really flourished post transplant. We will see if they ever get big enough to actually bear veggies.

Here is the other side of the garden. More peas and tomatoes. My herb garden: Basil, Cilantro, Tarragon, Dill, Oregano and some Green Onions.

In the back you can see my Gardenia (Jasmina) plant that my dear husband bought for mothers day. It had/has several buds but has yet to actually bloom, I'm not sure what is wrong with it.

The garden has been a lot of fun and I've been able to harvest radishes, onions and all my herbs fresh for when I cook, which has been fantastic.

No comments: